We teach children living with cancer to develop their creative voice through the art of photography.
About the Program
Cancer is no fun – especially for kids.
Through the lens of a camera, pediatric cancer patients are given a new perspective.
Our Pablove Shutterbugs program teaches children and teens living with cancer to develop their creative voice through the art of photography. Through our classes, students learn to express themselves, exercise their independence, and practice new ways of seeing – all while having fun!
Pablove Shutterbugs is a photography program for children and teens between the ages of 6-18 who are living with cancer. Para más información sobre el programa Pablove Shutterbugs en Español, llámenos al 323.657.5557.
Here’s how Pablove Shutterbugs helps kids cope through creative expression:
- Our classes cover key photography concepts such as perspective, light and shadow, and storytelling through a mix of one-on-one instruction, group classes, and field trips.
- As part of our structured curriculum, students complete weekly photo assignments, instilling self-confidence as they practice and master new skills.
- There is no cost for families to participate. Pablove Shutterbugs is supported by grants, corporate donations, and individual gifts to The Pablove Foundation.
- Students who complete the program keep their digital point-and-shoot camera kits to continue fostering their creativity.
- Our program evaluations have shown that creative expression has the power to uplift the human spirit. The smiles on our students’ faces prove this week after week.
- Children undergoing pediatric cancer treatment have their daily routine disrupted and often miss school for days or weeks at a time. Our program instills a sense of independence and accomplishment in kids whose lives are otherwise dominated by medical treatment.
- Pablove Shutterbugs is open to children who are currently in treatment, as well as those who are up to five years “off treatment” for pediatric cancer.
Our program offerings include 8-week mentorship programs, 5-week group sessions, summer camps, and workshops. Click on the Upcoming Classes tab to see if we have an upcoming program near you.
If you’d like to volunteer with Pablove Shutterbugs, please check out our upcoming opportunities at pablove.org/volunteer.
The Pablove Shutterbugs program is offered throughout the year through workshops, summer camps, and our five-week and eight-week flagship programs. There is no cost for children to participate in this program.
We are now accepting student applications for the following programs:
Nationwide Fall 5-Week Session II
Made possible through a cooperative agreement with the LIVESTRONG Foundation
PALO ALTO, CA
STONY BROOK, NY
October 4-November 1, 2014
The Pablove Shutterbugs 5-Week program is an outpatient photography program that takes place over five Saturdays in a creative setting. Taught by an accomplished photographer in each of the communities, kids and teens (ages 6-18) who are living with cancer will come together to learn the art of photography. During the 5-week course, students attend five weekly 2-hour group classes. Each week, students learn a new lesson in photography concepts and technique. All supplies and equipment are provided by The Pablove Foundation.
*Miami, FL: Program ends on November 8
If you’d like to volunteer with Pablove Shutterbugs, please join our Volunteer List at pablove.org/volunteer.