We teach children living with cancer to develop their creative voice through the art of photography.
About the Program
Cancer is no fun – especially for kids.
Through the lens of a camera, pediatric cancer patients are given a new perspective.
Our Pablove Shutterbugs program teaches children and teens living with cancer to develop their creative voice through the art of photography. Through our classes, students learn to express themselves, exercise their independence, and practice new ways of seeing – all while having fun!
Pablove Shutterbugs is a photography program for children and teens between the ages of 6-18 who are living with cancer. Para más información sobre el programa Pablove Shutterbugs en Español, llámenos al 323.657.5557.
Here’s how Pablove Shutterbugs helps kids cope through creative expression:
- Our classes cover key photography concepts such as perspective, light and shadow, and storytelling through a mix of one-on-one instruction, group classes, and field trips.
- As part of our structured curriculum, students complete weekly photo assignments, instilling self-confidence as they practice and master new skills.
- There is no cost for families to participate. Pablove Shutterbugs is supported by grants, corporate donations, and individual gifts to The Pablove Foundation.
- Students who complete the program keep their digital point-and-shoot camera kits to continue fostering their creativity.
- Our program evaluations have shown that creative expression has the power to uplift the human spirit. The smiles on our students’ faces prove this week after week.
- Children undergoing pediatric cancer treatment have their daily routine disrupted and often miss school for days or weeks at a time. Our program instills a sense of independence and accomplishment in kids whose lives are otherwise dominated by medical treatment.
- Pablove Shutterbugs is open to children who are currently in treatment, as well as those who are up to five years “off treatment” for pediatric cancer.
Our program offerings include 8-week mentorship programs, 5-week group sessions, summer camps, and workshops. Click on the Upcoming Classes tab to see if we have an upcoming program near you.
If you’d like to volunteer with Pablove Shutterbugs, please check out our upcoming opportunities at pablove.org/volunteer.
The Pablove Shutterbugs program is offered throughout the year through workshops, summer camps, and our five-week and eight-week flagship programs. There is no cost for children to participate in this program.
We are now accepting student applications for the following programs:
Pablove Shutterbugs Alumni Camp
June 29-July 1, 2015
The Pablove Foundation is thrilled to launch a Pablove Shutterbugs Alumni Summer Camp program for students who have completed our fundamentals class and are ready to take photography to the next level. For three days, Pablove Shutterbugs alumni will participate in an overnight camp on the picturesque campus at Pepperdine University in Malibu, CA. The Alumni Summer Camp is an overnight camp where students will eat, sleep, learn, and play under the guidance of camp counselors and photography teachers.
The camp is for former students who are interested in:
- Continuing to grow and further develop their sense of self-expression
- Improving skills related to photography such as considering environment, maximizing the uses of their camera, and discussing the merits of artwork
- Appreciating the intersection between art and nature
If you’d like to volunteer with Pablove Shutterbugs, please join our Volunteer List at pablove.org/volunteer.
We are so proud of our students’ work! The photography showcased here is from our 2014 Los Angeles Gallery Show. You can purchase our students’ photography to support Pablove Shutterbugs at shop.pablove.org.
National Gallery Shows
Celebrate the gift of photography
pick a city . . . any city!
In 2014-2015, Pablove Shutterbugs brought the art of photography to more than 300 children living with cancer in 12 cities nationwide through a partnership with the LIVESTRONG Foundation Community Impact Project. Our Pablove Shutterbugs National Gallery Shows exhibit the diverse talents of students in communities from coast to coast while raising awareness about childhood cancer. With our graduates’ photographic vision on display, families, friends, and fellow art lovers can come together to support the program and celebrate our students.
These events are complimentary to attend. All proceeds from the student prints sold through our Gallery Shows directly benefit the Pablove Shutterbugs program, which allows us to continue putting cameras in the hands of kids and teens living with cancer.
For questions about this event or to purchase student photography, please contact the Pablove Shutterbugs team at email@example.com or 323.657.5557.